THE KING'S (LIVERPOOL) REGIMENT The regiment was raised in 1685 as the
Princess Anne of Denmark's Regiment, becoming in 1751 the 8th of
Regimental Battle Honours
1701 - 1715, Blenheim, Ramillies,
Ourdenarde and Malplaquet during the War of Spanish Succession
1740 - 1748 battle of Dettingen
during the War of Austrian Succession.
1803 - 1815 Martinique during
1809, during the Napoleonic Wars.
1812 - 1814, Niagara during the American
war of 1812.
1857 - 1858, At Delhi and Lucknow
during the Indian Mutiny
1878 - 1880 Battle of Piewar Kotal,
in Afghanistan during the Second Afghan war
1885 - 1887 The Third Burma War
1899 - 1902 Ladysmith during the
1914 - 1918 Retreat from Mons, Aisne. Marne Ypres (1914, 1915 and 1917)
Festubert, Loos, Soome
(1916 and 1918) Arras Scarpe, and Cambrai
1919, Third Aghan War of 1919
1939 - 1945 Normandy landings,
Battle of Cassino, Trasimene Line, Tuori, Forli, Rimini LIne, Athens,
Chindits operations,1943, and 1944 during the second world War
1950 - 1953 Battle for The Hook
VICTORIA CROSS AWARDS. Nine Victoria Cross's have been won, the
first three were during the Boer war, and Six during the First World War.
Kings (Liverpool Regiment)
The increase to the army on the outbreak of
Monmouth’s rebellion led to the formation of this regiment by Lord
Ferrars, and it was first named the “Princess Anne of Denmark’s
Regiment of Foot.” Its
early history is remarkable for the stout resistance made by Colonel
Beaumont and Captains Packe, Orme, Post, Cook, and Pastor to the attempted
packing of their companies with Irish Roman Catholic recruits.
This occurred at Portsmouth, and these “Portsmouth captains”
were removed to Windsor Castle for trial, and were dismissed the service;
but the colonel was reinstated by William 3rd.
In the Irish campaign it fought at Carrickfergus, the Boyne,
Limerick, Cork, and Kinsale; and in 1702, when Princess Anne of Denmark
became Queen, the “Queen’s Regiment” embarked for the Continent, and
saw service at Kaiserswerth, the siege of Venloo, Ruremonde, Liege, Huy,
Limburg, Landau, Sandvilet, Menin, Ath, Lisle, Tournay, Mons, Pont-a-Vendin,
Douay, Bethune, Aire, St. Venant, and Bordeaux, and the battles od
Schellenberg, Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenarde, Malplaquet, and Arleux.
In the Jacobite rising of 1715 it shared in the disaster at
Bumblane, and the following year received the new title of the “King’s
Regiment of Foot,” with the badge of the white horse of Hanover on a red
field, and the motto “Nec aspera terrent”; but the latter was not
placed on the colours until 1846.
The king’s was at Dettingen and Fomtenoy (1743-45); at Falkirk
and Culloden (1746); at Roucoux and Val (1746-47); at Warburg, Zierenburg,
Campen, Kirch Denkern, Eimbeck, Groebenstein, and Cassel (1760-62); at the
Cedars and Fort Stannix, in Canada (1776-77); at Nimeguen (1794); and in
the Egyptian campaign of 1801, at Aboukir, Alexandria, and Cairo.
The 8th took part in the expedition to Copenhagen in
1807, and to the West Indies in 1809, when Martinique was captured; and
then took an active part in the campaign of 1813-14, fighting at Ogdenburg-when
two colours were captured-Fort George, Sackett’s Harbour, Stoney Creek,
Forty-Mile Creek, Beaver Dams, Black Rock, Buffalo, Chippawa, Niagara,
Fort Erie, Snake Hill, and Plattsburg, for which good services the word
“Niagara” was placed on the colours.
During the Mutiny the 1st battalion was in India, and
did good work at Dehli, at Bolundshuhur and Alighur, at Agra, Lucknow, and
Cawnpore, and the operations in Oude.
A second battalion, raised in 1756, became the 63rd;
another, raised in 1804 and disbanded in 1815, was in the Walcheren
Expedition, and was in Canada from 1809 to 1814.
During the winter of the latter year six companies marched on snow-
shoes through the roads from New Brunswick to Quebec, and served at
Plattsburg. The present 2nd
battalion was raised in 1858, and added “Peiwar Kotal” and
“Afghanistan, 1878-80” to the “honours,” for gallant services in
that war under Sir Frederick Roberts. It also served with Prendergast in
Burmah. The scarlet uniform
had originally yellow facings, altered to royal blue in 1715, also when
the badge of the white horse was added. The white horse, with the regiment mental name and title
laurelled, is on the button, and on the helmet and waist-plate (with the
motto); the white horse and Garter is worn on the forage- cap.
The tunic collars have the Lancaster rose, with 2King’s” below
it. Though not entitled
“Royal,” the officers’ forage- caps have the scarlet band.
The badges are the royal cipher within the Garter, crowned, the
white horse within the Garter, crowned, and the Sphinx with “Egypt.”
The lion is also used as a collar-badge.
It is the only regiment that has Old English lettering for its
badges. The two Militia
battalions were formed from the 2nd Royal Lancashire battalion,
and the men wear on their forage- caps the “rose” within a wreath.
The Volunteer battalions are all Lancashire regiments with the
exception of that from the Isle of Man (scarlet and blue), which is
attached. They are the 1st
(green and black), the 5th and 18th (green and
scarlet), the 13th, 15th, and 19th
(scarlet and blue). The only
nickname is the “King’s,” or, in the last century, the “King’s
Hanoverian White Horse.” The depot was in Warrington..