Loyal North Lancashire

Home ] Up ] East Lancashire Reg ] [ Loyal North Lancashire ] South Lancashire ]


Order Enquiries (UK) : 01436 820269

You currently have no items in your basket


Buy with confidence and security!
Publishing historical art since 1985

Don't Miss Any Special Deals - Sign Up To Our Newsletter!
Regimental
Prints
Original
Artwork
Postcards
Product Search         

Historical uniform prints of the Loyal North Lancashire regiment, by leading Victorian uniform artists, Richard Simkin and Harry Payne military prints published by Cranston Fine Arts

The linked battalions of the 47th (Lancashire) and the 81st (Loyal Lincoln Volunteers, a title it resumed in 1832) became in 1881 the “Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.”           The 47th was preceded by one of the same number ; the 4th Marine regiment holding it from 1740 to 1748.  The existing battalion first appears as the “1st Loyal North Lancashire,” raised in Scotland in 1740, ranking then as the 58th, and taking its number as “the 47th Foot” in 1743, to which the county title of “Lancashire” was added in 1782.  Thus both the battalions of the regiment have in their time borne the title “Loyal,” a distinction accorded to no other regiment.           The Lancashires was engaged in the suppression of the Jacobite Rebellion in 1745, and were engaged at Falkirk and Edinburgh.  Their next active service was in Canada, where they shared in the capture of Louisburg, fought bravely on the heights of Abraham when Wolfe fell, aided in the defence of Quebec, and were present at Sillery and Montreal.  After assisting at the capture of Martinique, the 47th went home, to return to North America for the War of Independence, and share in the battles of Bunker’s Hill, Lexington, and Stillwater, and serve finally with Burgoyne, surrendering at Saratoga in 1777.  After general duty in various parts of the world, it was despatched from the Cape to Maldonado “during the operations against Monte Video and Buenos Ayres”; and, while the rest of the battalion was doing duty in India (where, in 1816, it was engaged against the Pindaris, and, in 1819, in the operations against the Joasmis in the Persian Gult), the flank companies, in 1809 assisted at the destruction of the pirate stronghold of Ras-ul-Khymah, in the Persian Gulf.

           The first Burmah War of 1825 saw the regiment again in the field, and for its valuable services “Ava” was added to the colours; and it next took part in the Russian War, where it fought at the Alma and Inkerman (when Private J. McDermond won the Victoria Cross for saving the life of Colnel Haly), and throughout the siege of Sevastopol.  Since then it has been employed in general routine duty.            The first regiment numbered “81” was the “Invalids” in 1759, which in 1763 became the 71st, and was disbanded; the next was built up from a number of independent companies, which had been serving from 1769 until 1778, when they were incorporated as the 81st Aberdeen Highlanders.  This disappeared in 1783.  The present battalion was formed in 1793 as the “Loyal Lincoln Volunteers” (when the county Militia volunteered to serve in its ranks), which title was dropped for the regimental number in 1794, restored in 1832, and replaced by the present territorial designation in 1881.  In 1795 it went on foreign service to the West Indies, encountering a severe hurricane on the voyage, and suffering much from yellow fever at St. Domingo; but, notwithstanding, it carried by assault the position of Bomparde held by the enemy.

           The year 1799 found the 81st at the Cape, engaged with the Kaffirs; and after much adventure by land and sea, it was sent with Sir James Craig’s expedition to Naples, and landed in Sicily, forming later part of Sir John Stuart’s force which defeated the French at Maida.  A “curious silver snuff-box” was taken there, and is still treasured in the regiment.  Continuing to serve in the Mediterranean until 1812, it was in that year despatched to the Peninsula, and did arduous work at Denia, Biaz, Castella, Tarragona, Col del Ordal, Arbos, etc.  It took no active part in the Waterloo campaign, but formed part of the Army of Occupation until 1817.  From that year until 1847 it did general foreign duty, twice losing some of its number by the shipwreck of transports; but after 1853 it was in India, where its valuable services at Lahore tended much to prevent the spread of the mutiny.  Since then the 81st has seen active service in the Euzosffzie expedition in1858 and the Afghan campaign of 1879-80, where it assisted in the capture of Ali Musjid.

           A 2nd battalion of the 81st was raised in 1803.  It was sent to the Peninsula in 1808, shared in the disastrous retreat to Corruna, and in the battle there, losing altogether 326 men and 13 officers; was in the Walcheren expedition, and at Flushing; went to Holland in 1814, and joined in the blockade of Antwerp; occupied Brussels during the battle of Waterloo, and was disbanded in 1816.           The former white and buff facings respectively of the two battalions are now both white.  The official badge is the red rose of Lancaster.  The arms of the City of Lincoln-arg. A fleur-de-lys, or, on a St. George’s Cross, gu.-appear also on the appointments.  The lion and crown is derived from the 47th.  The rose-pattern gold lace has a black stripe, a distinction shared with seven other regiments.  The button bears the royal crest over the arms of the City of Lincoln, with the name of the regiment.  The “arms” also appear on the collar; the helmet-plate and waist-plate have the royal crest, rose, and title; the royal crest and rose are on the forage-cap.            The 3rd and 4th battalions are furnished by the 3rd Royal Lancashire Militia, which has “Mediterranean” on its colours, in remembrance of its services there in the Crimean War.  It was raised in 1797.  The Volunteer battalions are the 11th Lancashire, Preston, and the 14th Lancashire, Bolton; both wear scarlet with white facings.           The 47th were known as the “Cauliflowers,” the “Lancashire Lads,” and “Wolfe’s Own,” from their share in the fighting at Quebec.  The 81st had only then the old regimental title, “The Loyal Lincoln Volunteers.”           The depot was at Preston

Massive savings on this month's big offers including our BUY ONE GET ONE HALF PRICE offer on many prints and many others at HALF PRICE or with FREE PRINTS!
Many of our offers end in 10 hours, 4 minutes!
View our Special Offers

The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment by Harry Payne.


The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment by Harry Payne.

Item Code : UN0016The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment by Harry Payne. - Editions Available
TYPEDESCRIPTIONSIZESIGNATURESOFFERSPRICEPURCHASING
PRINTOpen edition print.
Full Item Details
Image size 7 inches x 12 inches (18cm x 31cm)noneAdd any two items on this offer to your basket, and the lower priced item will be half price in the checkout!£14.00

Quantity:


The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment (47th and 81st foot) by Richard Simkin


The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment (47th and 81st foot) by Richard Simkin

Item Code : UN0311The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment (47th and 81st foot) by Richard Simkin - Editions Available
TYPEDESCRIPTIONSIZESIGNATURESOFFERSPRICEPURCHASING
PRINT Open edition print.
Full Item Details
Image size 8 inches x 12 inches (20cm x 31cm)noneAdd any two items on this offer to your basket, and the lower priced item will be half price in the checkout!£14.00

Quantity:
ANTIQUE
CHROMOLITHOGRAPH
Original chromolithograph.
Full Item Details
Image size 10 inches x 13 inches (25cm x 33cm) One copy available.none£130.00

Quantity:
EX-DISPLAY
PRINT
**Open edition print. (One copy reduced to clear)
Full Item Details
Image size 8 inches x 12 inches (20cm x 31cm)none£9.00

Quantity:


Contact Details
Shipping Info
Terms and Conditions
Classified Ads
Valuations

Join us on Facebook!

Sign Up To Our Newsletter!

Stay up to date with all our latest offers, deals and events as well as new releases and exclusive subscriber content!

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Fax: (+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email:

Follow us on Twitter!

Return to Home Page